Tis the time of the year when a majority of travel takes place. Here are my 5 Must-Do Travel Rules! I don’t call these tips because when you do these, you will succeed in keeping your fitness and nutrition goals top of mind. They are rules to travel by!
1. Pack Healthy Foods and Water:
You need snacks that will sustain you and satisfy you because it’s so easy to just pop open a coke or a Kit Kat. Be prepared with these types of snacks:
- Nuts and Healthy Trail Mixes. I suggest making your own trail mix with one dried fruit, two nuts (one roasted and salted, the other raw) and Rice Chex Mix. Add a tbs of dark chocolate chips.
- Banana and Peanut Butter (will help your muscles not cramp on long bouts of sitting)
- Yogurt (Greek or Keifer)
- fruits high in fiber — only if you are traveling alone! Bananas, apples, kiwi or avocado (peel and eat like an apple! ) High fiber foods keep you fuller for longer. Add with a handful of nuts…your set!
- Smart Water (see my blog on how awesome Smart Water is!) Again, this will help with potential cramping
- Gum! Don’t eat it just keep it around to keep your mouth busy when you get bored.
2. Stop frequently to stretch:
After sitting too long it sometime takes 10 minutes or more to work out the kinks. Stretch frequently to keep your muscles from cramping AND to promote better circulation. Your femoral artery runs through your hip. If your hips are contracted and bent because you are sitting, you are restricting blood flow. That restriction promotes fatigue.
- Stand up when ever possible
- Change sitting positions often
- A lunge stretch is the World’s best stretch for opening up your hips. Do it, do it well and do it frequently. Ha! that last sentence sounds like some advice I received just before I got married.
- Stretch the hamstrings and back by standing up and touching your toes. Hold 3 times for 20 -30 seconds. Let your neck relax as you are bent over.
3. Posture Check!:
Stop Mid sentence if you have to and check your posture. Be aware of your posture and straighten up if needed.
- Engage your core this will help support your back during long bouts of sitting. Engaging your core means holding your abdominal muscles tight without crunching. You know how your stomach feels when you cough, sneeze or your flex because you are about to get punched in the gut? That is how tight you want your abs!
- Keep your shoulders down and away from your ears but relaxed
- Do not slouch over. Do not slouch over. Do not slouch over!
4. Schedule in Every meal and snack.
Make a specific time that you stop no matter what you are doing and eat your healthy snack. The absolutely most detrimental thing you can do for any health and fitness goal is not eat while you are traveling. This is another reason why stopping frequently is so important. When you stop you will have the opportunity to eat your packed snack so that when you get to your destination you will not pull a Miss Piggy and eat the entire Chicken Fried Steak at the road side diner…or worse….. wait, that’s pretty much the worse thing you can eat. Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about. We are all guilty of this one. One time it was deep fried bacon for me!
- I know what you are thinking and YES this is possible! Quite making excuses. Here is how you can do it…
- Set your phone or watch for every 3 hours to stop and eat.
- Use this scheduled snack time to take advantage of all the 5 Fit Girl Travel Rules
- Now can you see why preparation is KEY to success?
5. Breath Normally.
Breathing too quickly results in the constriction of your blood vessels.
- Blood carries oxygen to everything in your body. Remember Rule #2? Keep your oxygen blood levels normal AND stretch out the hip area (where your femoral artery is located) and you not only increase blood flow to your feet to your brain, you enhance the the quality of that blood.
- Mental Clarity, increased energy and proper digestion are a result of properly oxygenated blood.
- You don’t necessarily need to breathe deeply, just normally.
These rules are to help you stay on track through your travels, reduce jet lag and have a better healthier traveling experience. As always give me a buzz with questions. I’m here to help you kick some ass and take some names during your fitness journey. A journey that is ongoing for life. You can and you will find the best you through family, friends, education and health.
A special thank you to my ABWA – LWEN girls for requesting this publication. This is an excellent idea for a blog. You ladies help me grow personally and professionally and my only wish is that this content helps you as much as you help me! I wish I was traveling with you right now!